Monday, November 05, 2007

English Differenciating You From Others



It's been long since I posted about English. As I wrote here before, in Korea English is considered not to be just a language tool but rather a method to acquire a higher status in society. This advertisement for English school, I think, clearly represents this tendency as well as western, more precisely American, culture adoration: people looking at up a girl standing on the ladder (my ideal figure is they sit side by side) and the girl wearing a cowboy hat. Speaking foreign languages is not to differentiate you from others but to mingle with them.

5 comments:

Dalicia said...

you got a good point!! it's to improve your language skills.
but not to turn a western person.

it's ads like this that makes ppl like me look bad :P

• Eliane • said...

Or, in a very cliché way: learning languages like she does enable you to climb the corporate ladder and to defirenciate you from the other candidates (hence why she is in color and the others in b&W as if their profile is less interesting). I'm not sure how to get the "I'm possible": as in "because I learn languages, I have more possibilies in my future" or "being like me is possible to achieve to you b&w people"? Interesting add indeed/

Fabrizio Zanelli said...

Talking about advertisement I don't like this tendency to make them in line with western culture. A country should have to preserve it's culture and tradition.

Hyderabad Daily Photo said...

This is not about English class - but we have ads which show Western people using products - that does not make a lot of sense to me, but someone here told me that they think it means that the product is good enough for the Western people and hence must be a good product. Interesting how people interpret things differently.

Hyderabad Daily Photo said...

This is not about English class - but we have ads which show Western people using products - that does not make a lot of sense to me, but someone here told me that they think it means that the product is good enough for the Western people and hence must be a good product. Interesting how people interpret things differently.